Music Banter - View Single Post - Racing the Clouds Home: Trollheart's Prog Rock Journal
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

There are some prog bands I just don't get, and many I should but can't see the appeal in. This bothers me slightly, especially when the band concerned is a major one. And yet, there are huge gaps in my prog appreciation where I just simply don't like or can't get into a particular artiste. Here, I'm going to attempt to address this. The plan is to pick an artiste and listen to up to three of their albums, preferably those considered their best. If, after this, I have still not got into them I'm going to assume that for now at any rate I probably won't manage it, and will temporarily accept that and stop trying. I may give it another shot at some later date on my own terms, but for this section that artiste will be considered a failure for me.

Aristes I intend to cover (more will probably be added later) are: Spock's Beard, IQ, Pallas, King Crimson, Yes, Riverside, Van der Graaf Generator, Dream Theater, Gentle Giant, ELP, Gandalf's Fist, Enchant, Porcupine Tree, Pain of Salvation and Saga.

As I listen to each album I will rate it and assign it a Result, determining whether it leaves me in the same mind as I was before I listened to it, ie no change,

or has had a positive effect on me,

or even made me more reluctant to listen to more of their material.

At the end, I'll know whether I've got into the artiste or still feel meh about them, or even if this experiment has turned me even further from them.

I'll start off with a brief intro to the artiste and what I know of them and have heard from them, and then dive into the review. First one up soon!

If you have any suggestions, feel free.