Music Banter - View Single Post - Qwertyy's Journal of Music Reviews and Other Assorted Ramblings
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 03:18 PM   #283 (permalink)
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard
OQB

Jute Gyte - Ship of Theseus
Recommended by Frownland

Looks like I'm in for some avant-garde black metal with this album. This could go either way honestly. I think everyone knows how into black metal I am and while avant-garde black metal isn't necessarily my favourite under the black metal umbrella, there's definitely some good **** within the scene.

Lugubrious Games (Sans Frontières): Wait, so this is... microtonal black metal? This is uh... well. It's definitely unique to say the least. Unfortunately it's not unique in the way I would want it to be. It sounds like black metal played poorly on an out of tune guitar. This really isn't going to be my thing, is it? Things get pretty heavy near the end of the track, but as a whole this is just a great big no thank you.

Forces of Self-Shedding: I like the intensity but the guitar work ****ing sucks big time. It's weird because outside of the guitar it's not even really avant-garde is it? It feels very business as usual for a black metal album but just all microtonal and sloppy or w/e. Not really anything even remotely exciting.

Grief of New Desire: I'm reading RYM reviews and it seems that the common consensus is that the sound takes a little getting used to. That's all fine and dandy but when judging off of one listen it makes for a pretty horrid experience. The guitar notes just feel so flat and the album lacks that wall of sound that I so desperately was looking for.

Ship of Theseus: This track is a fair bit better than the 3 that came before it. It's not amazing... far from it actually. It's just remotely better. There's also some cool ambient passages here and there that I can respect. As a whole I'm just patiently waiting for this god damn thing to be over with. Someone should submit this to TH for the torture chamber.

Machinery That Renders Debt Infinite: If not for the integrity of this thread I probably would have already shut this thing off. There's some relatively cool sampling done in this one that remind me a jack in the box but aside from that **** this track too!

Pain and Wrath Are the Singers: Annnnd we're on the home stretch. Let's wrap this mother****er up ASAP. This is just like, more of the same. Not really worth writing about if I'm being honest. Oh my god this is 12 minutes long? Seriously? Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts...

Final Verdict I tried to come in with an open mind but this album just did not do anything for me. Like I said, avant black metal is usually fairly hit or miss with me, and this album was definitely a miss. I think this RYM user said it best (although he exaggerated a lil):

Quote:
Doctor_Pym Aug 21 2015 0.50 stars

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I've got to say that this album is one of the most offensive works I have ever heard. I wasn't unsure whether to laugh or barf when I first heard what I can only describe as a cacophony of randomly bashed instruments and the vocalist getting ill in the background.

I have absolutely no idea what the **** happened here and I don't even want to know. I'm just very thankful that this album only features six songs, because I would not have survived through more of them.
FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm not even mad. Seriously I'm not. You're a good dude, and I think and hope you'll become something good
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote