Music Banter - View Single Post - Planktons - What The Hell Am I Listening To?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #69 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

I had my USB stick with a few thousand songs on shuffle this morning in the SUV on the way in to work, and a few Schenker tunes came on, which got me thinking about the fusion between neoclassical guitar riffs and rock and metal. I know that Uli Jon Roth was a big part of it's origins, and had a large influence on Mike, but I got to thinking... again... who influenced Uli? Who or what made this man start to think along those lines. Come to find out that he was more influenced by Jimi Hendrix, and bands like Cream (Clapton). The only tie I can find is that he started listening to classical music at around the same time those influences were taking over:

Quote:
As soon as I actually started playing, I started listening to a lot of rhythm and blues meaning Eric Clapton & Cream. A little bit later on, I discovered Jimi Hendrix and it became a real love affair. Soon after that I discovered classical music. At some point I started to write music myself and then I did the Scorpions thing and it just all fell into place from there. That was my career. I just started being in a professional band and at the time I wasn't thinking of it as being in a professional band, but rather being something I felt I wanted to do and needed to do and that was it.
(taken from: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news...ove_music.html)

The man literally started a genre. Such an underrated musician, especially these days, but his influence touches just about every corner of the rock and metal world as we know it today.