Music Banter - View Single Post - Forum Member Album Reviews
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #673 (permalink)
Mondo Bungle
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene

Starboard by Psychephilia https://psychephilia.bandcamp.com/album/starboard

I'm working backwards now. Let's see where the sound from my last review came to be.

Opens with dark and spacey drone ambient. And continues with it. And finishes with it. Not at all remarkable within the ambient realm but that's also kinda tough to pull off. It's still a fine song. The next track is where it picks up. you can make out an ambience akin to the opener but it's buried under some nice noise. As it progresses, the noise withers a little bit and cool synth melodies come in. Everything meshes very well. Meteor Shower is a short and psychedelic, melodic synth segue, and it's still cool.

Not that much to say about Lost II that wasn't covered already with the first one. But this one is more diverse and evolved. More atmospherics and different layers compared to the first. Next is another short one like Meteor Shower. This one has a cool rhythm. Lost III is like the first two but a tad bit noisier I guess. Also, I make out more different kinda melodies, they're very quiet and drowned out but very interesting to me, wish I could hear them better.

This album has consistency going for it, definitely. It's singular and doesn't stray from the formula it presents. Though at the same time, it feels like it's a jumble of rehashed ideas from all the songs. In my personal opinion, this would be cooler as like, one long ambient thing with all the tracks combined into one. Still good ambient, could stand for more variety.

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote