Music Banter - View Single Post - Forum Member Album Reviews
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2016, 04:28 PM   #679 (permalink)
Mondo Bungle
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene

Stuck Between The Parallels of Man & Monster by Son of Abbot
https://eerecords.bandcamp.com/album...of-man-monster

Kinda don't know how this might sound. Starts deep and warbley with some public chatter. That's what that is. Some vocals at the end that start off the next track. Now it gets into it, a drum beat, bassline, and piano notes for a bit until this guitar riff comes in and ends the track. Pretty repetitive but that's never an insult in my mind. Drones and percussion hits in the next, more lyrics, another little riff at the end. More repetition.

Track four starts with an acoustic guitar sounding melody and some deep and distorted vocals. A beat and riff come in to break the ice, along with those vocals. Okay if not simple stuff. Yellow starts with noise for a minute and brings in the usual instrumentation, so far a standout. Great guitar shredding gives it more variation. Next track has a sparse drum beat and even more sparse little effects in the background, and some distant vocals. Start/stop rock with the next one. Still simple but I like what's going down after like thirty seconds. Repetition in the other tracks was neither here nor there, but this one's a more interesting and captivating example. Low growls in the back and eventually met with more guitar.

Sorrow Filled Masturbation is an atmospheric break, higher register than the rest of the album. Gets heavy again on the next track. I like the feedback coming from the chords being struck, sounds almost droney. Ethereal vocals eventually. The next is a full on noise collaboration that did an okay job keeping my interest. And another one to close the album, even noisier and more diverse. Guitar.

I'm gonna be blunt, I was not the hugest fan of this album. There's a couple cool ideas awash in the repetition. I talk a lot about the albums I'm hearing being in need of more variety, definitely another case. Slow paced with little to grasp for me, personally. Production could stand to be more rad too.

If those cool ideas are any indication, I look forward to more expansion from thisproject, but for now I wasn't wowed.

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote