Music Banter - View Single Post - Qwertyy's Top 20 Albums of the Year
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2016, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard
OQB

20-16

20) Trap Them - Crown Feral

The current state of metalcore is quite upsetting for someone like myself that considers the subgenre to be one of the best under the metal umbrella. Fortunately for me, Trap Them show just how great metalcore can be when you leave the cheesy soaring cleans behind and stick to writing straight up gnarly guitar riffs and absolutely brutal breakdowns. If you aren't a fan of metal music you should probably stay away from this, but if you consider yourself a metalhead and haven't given this a spin, do so as soon as possible.

Spoiler for must-hear track(s):

19) Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial

Teens of Denial is the album you hate hipsters for loving. Car Seat Headrest is a grown man making lo-fi emo power pop songs about trivial issues. And yet, somehow he manages to make it work out. Good luck making it more than two or three tracks deep without tapping your foot and singing along to tracks like Fill in the Blank & Destroyed by Hippie Powers. This is Will Toledo's lightning in a bottle moment, maturing his sound slightly while still remaining more entertaining than ever.

18) Touché Amoré - Stage Four

Touche Amore managed to couple their most diverse album with their most emotional offering on Stage Four. The basis of the album's story telling is the unfortunate passing of the mother of one of the band members which leads to a real tear jerking experience. Despite the tragedy, the band manage to come into this album stronger than ever before with some fantastic post-hardcore that makes this album quite easily the best in their discography so far.

17) Rail Yard Ghosts - Hiraeth

In what was easily one of the most ambitious efforts of 2016, folk-punk act Rail Yard Ghosts pieced together a 90+ minute concept double album that was just as full of skits as it was music. While that may initially make this a difficult album to get into, the payoff is remarkable. The story is incredibly interesting, the range of music played varies from folk-punk, to traditional folk, to crust-punk-folk, and the spoken word bits that pop up throughout the project are absolutely wonderful.

16) Death Grips - Bottomless Pit

This album, much like everything else Death Grips have released, is ****ing fantastic. There's a blend of in-your-face loud, abrasive synths, drum beats, and when accompanied with MC Ride's vocals... well you already know just how brilliant it is. It may not be able to touch the quality of TMS and Exmilitary, but it's yet another solid addition to hip-hop's favourite experimental trio's discography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm not even mad. Seriously I'm not. You're a good dude, and I think and hope you'll become something good

Last edited by Ol’ Qwerty Bastard; 12-18-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote