Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you get such a big hype around Eddie Van Halen?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2016, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Texas Boy
Music Addict

Default Do you get such a big hype around Eddie Van Halen?

I think of EVH as an overhyped guitarist. Yes, he is great, but not close to the greatest guitarist ever. But how much credit EVH gets for popularizing tapping techique and compare it with how much credit Steve Hackett from Genesis gets for inventing that guitar techique in rock music? But the reason why Steve Hackett didn't get any credit is because he worked with some non-commercial band, which was far from mainstream rock in the 70's, while EVH's band hit the mainstream scene and became one of the most popular American rock bands.

Despite the fact that he was a technically great guitar player, Eddie was also a very good songwriter who made some very good rock tunes but also some utter dross. Also his guitar playing in many VH songs is superb, while in many others is mediocre, nothing special or even lame. The quality of EVH's band work can't hold a candle to the quality of Ritchie Blackmore's work with Deep Purple and Rainbow. But that's my opinion.
I always look on the popularity of EVH and his band Van Halen as predominantly the taste of American rock fans. Van Halen is not so appreciated and big band outside the US!

OK, now your opinions?
The main question: Do you get such a big hype around Eddie Van Halen?And how with the instrumental Eruption he changed rock music as many people think?
Texas Boy is offline   Reply With Quote