Music Banter - View Single Post - Stuck on a Frownapilago
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #69 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Some Thoughts on Albums from 2016 That Rocked My World

I don't want to do a full list and review clinic of all of my favourite albums from this year, so I'll be dropping short reviews occasionally. A lot of these albums fall under the "why the **** is no one on MB talking about this except me?" category, so take note.

Moor Mother - Fetish Bones

Death Grips-inspired noisy hip-hop madness that jumps back and forth between sound collage, pounding industrial rhythms, and spaceship-esque noises, all buried under Camae's confrontational delivery of abstract lyrics. Probably my favourite of the year overall. Perfect listening for when you're drunk with a loaded AK.

Paul Jebanasam - Continuum

Breathtakingly beautiful and almost cinematic drones that really grab your focus and make anything that you do while listening to it feel incredibly important. This album is incredibly evocative and the music tells a story in a way that I rarely hear instrumental music accomplishing.

Merzbow, Keiji Haino, Balázs Pándi - An Untroublesome Defenselessness

If you didn't shout "holy ****!" and run naked down the streets upon hearing about this album's existence, let me tell you why you should have. First off, these men are gods, plain and simple. Second, it is everything that a fan of these artists could want from them and more. Mainly, all of these ideas seem fresh. I was worried that it would be somewhat derivative of their other works both together and separate, but they accomplished to form a new kind of roaring, huge, ugly beast, bashing your skull in with a mace.

The Beatloads - The Beatloads

Ja, it's one of mine. To date, I consider this my "pop" record due to it being more accessible than my other landmine riddled albums. Some songs are hypnotic, some are fun and goofy, some are spastic no wave nonsense, all of them are great. I even try to sing a little on it. I'm really proud of it, check it out.

Syrinx - Tumblers From the Vault

This one is cheating because it is a comp of Syrinx's work from 1970 to 1972 but **** it. This is some massively excellent free folk type ambient prog stuff. It's very ahead of its time and has a groove to boot.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote