Music Banter - View Single Post - Yeah Machine is my name, and hopping on bandwagons is my game!
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 11:59 PM   #266 (permalink)
Machine
moon lake inc.

Occult Rock

I'm back (actually back this time) and ready to start on these once again. Somehow I've managed not to listen to this yet so here we go.

Track 1
This feels like black metal Swans right off the get go. This huge bright major chord that just will not let up with a blastbeat going on somewhere in the distance, beneath the cascade of cymbals, bass and guitar. It just keeps going while the guitar does some weird effects. Kinda cool albeit a little sparse in the ideas department. The shrill guitar tone has never been my thing and the group is really jacking off on that sound. Okay it's starting to really hurt my ears, and not in a fun metal kind of way. Hey a change in riff, alright this is more my thing. Bassline is dope in this section of the track. And drone out... hmmm not sure about that one.

Track 2 And right into track 2. ****ing cool groove, almost feels like something you might hear in like early 2000's rock radio if it didn't sound like ****. This has a lot of tension to it, I'm not sure if it's building or just staying low; it seems to be fluctuating. They're really just jamming on a single idea at a time for most of this album so far. Kind of a GY!BE build up only to come crashing back down. Lot of post-punk influence on this track which I am totally digging. Let me just note here the drummer is a beast. Banging track.

Track 3 Woah... drone metal opening. This is strange, I'm not used to drone/sludge riffing over a surprisingly grooving beat. Not too much else going on in this one besides a lot of atmosphere from the guitar while the bass is taking up the riff for this track. The track is slowly evolving into a more chaotic sort of monster. I'm really liking this one, probably my favorite so far. Cool psych outro.

Track 4 Oh damn that bassline is all I've ever wanted in life ooooooooooooo. The bass, the drums oh my ****ing face is melting off ohmygod I wish I were high doing this, this would end my life. This track could go on for 45 minutes and never change with the riff and I would be happy. I don't even mind the screeching guitars that make my ears bleed, at all. Oh that guitar line is just gorgeous. Aw changed up, but it's still great so it's okay, but I was really getting lost in that groove. Nvm we back. Yeah by far the best 10/10, album ain't getting any better than this.

Track 5 Another song, another groove to get lost in while the guitar just does its thing. Oh that was a real nice switch; getting a total krautrock feel on this one, even more so than the last one for some reason. It's really more of the same, but I'm not complaining, it's still nice. I sorta wish the guitar would add a couple riffs to this song, every song where it does the guitar always adds to the track. ****ING CHILL IT WITH THAT SHRILL EQ ON YOUR GUITAR HOLY ****ING ****! I literally had to throw off my headphones off at one point it got so bad. The bass and drums rule on this track, but **** the guitar.

Track 6 Thank you guitar dude for actually using a bit of mid in your guitar tone and stepping the hell away from the feedback knob. The rhythm section almost feels a post hardcore while the guitar riffs away into oblivion. Liking this one a lot, it's going through more ideas than I'm used to with a track on this album. Woah crazy one note bassline and simple drums here. Actually doing a lot more for me than I would normally think something like this would. Oh what the hell is the guitarist doing, this is not an onkyo piece stop touching the microphone to make glitch sounds, my god. I swear the guitar is the achilles heal of this band, almost every song it takes away from it rather than adds anything.

Track 7 Like I said before when the guitar player steps away from the effects pedals the band sounds great, but here we go again. This is torture because of the guitar right now. Ah back to the immaculate rhythm section, you guys rule. I wish this band had no guitar player, that'd be so much better. Maybe if it was just mixed beneath the rhythm section. Someone take away this man's envelope pedal (I assume that's what it is), although he might not know what to do with himself itself if it's gone; honestly, at this point I don't care it's awful. Alright no more effects and hey suddenly it sounds amazing again, look at that. As negative as I've been I do enjoy a lot of this track, but I keep switching back and forth from love and hate because of the guitar. And it's back. I can't put the headphones on all the way while that thing is blaring like that.

Track 8 So so so much better. Great riff. Not much else to say honestly. Yeah. Nope never mind back to ****. Nope I'm done **** this.

This is a real shame, I want to love this album so much, but i couldn't even get through the last track the guitar screeching got so bad. My head hurts. **** this album. 4/10
Machine is offline   Reply With Quote