Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Albums of 2016
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2016, 04:12 AM   #228 (permalink)
Aloysius
Music Addict

These aren't in order, but here is my favourite 10 for this year:

DEP - dissociation
On the first listen I loved most of the tracks but wasn’t sold on the breakcore and pop tracks - now I see the whole album as one multi movement work and the whole thing is making sense. A great release.

Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason
Yes it’s more of the same but I still love it.

Gorguts - Pleiades’ Dust
Fantastic single track release. Death metal as art music.

Manuel Valencia - Entre mis Manos
By far the best flamenco release of this year. Manuel is the nephew of the great singer Terremoto Hijo (who was the son of the even more amazing singer Terremoto). His guitar style is pure jerez, and you can here echoes of all three great jerez guitar dynasties (los Morao, los Jero and los Parrilla).

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
I lot of depth here, I keep coming back to this album.

Pixies - Head Carrier
Yes I know everyone else in the world hates this album, especially pixies fans, but I thought it was really good. Also my kids love it and I’m getting sick of the Wiggles.

Obscura - Akróasis
Even though this band got its name from the Gorguts album, their sound is nowhere near Gorguts, to me they sound closer to In Flames in terms of the flat out fun vibe.

Low leaf - Palm Psalms: A Light to Resolve All Darkness
Outstanding spaced out neo soul. Not the auto tuned **** that gets put under the neo soul banner, but real music with immense depth.

Xenia Rubinos - Black Terry Cat
I can’t believe I’ve got a pop release in my top 10, but this was too good to ignore.

Entropea - Ufonaut
There have been heaps of good experimental black metal albums this year recommended by Mondo, Frown etc, which I’m grateful for, but I haven’t been able to listen to them much at home as my family doesn’t dig metal. This album has really stood out to me. (Also great were new releases from Deathspell Omega, Ulcerate etc).

Best EPs

L'Orange & Mr Lif - The Life and Death of Scenery
For me the best hip hop release of 2016, but at 20m it leaves me wanting more.

Aphex Twin - Cheetah EP
The result of treating a vintage synth with the sort of respect a classical violinist treats their instrument.
Aloysius is offline   Reply With Quote