Music Banter - View Single Post - The Argument thread.
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2006, 04:32 PM   #314 (permalink)
franscar
Honky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber
haha, it very much does, and yet it's a fun topic because no matter much you discuss it, there's always another part to it that hasn't been taken into account. To play devil's advocate, the british were under immense pressure financially and politically. They were trying to hold together an empire that had no possible way of remaining intact. Their motives for acting the way they did are undeniable, and yet I can't imagine anyone with any sort of social conscience condoning their actions.

and madeinNY, if you want a really good book that explains the situation in great detail, and is also a really good read, I'd suggest Exodus by Leon Uris. Probably one of my favorite books of all time.
That seems to be the major problem with all Middle Eastern history I've ever encountered. So many conflicting agendas and conflicting opinions and interests. There's one or two people at uni with me who are writing their dissertations on the area and the sheer scale of the literature they have to wade through is amazing.

But then, I did have to choose the topic for mine that nobody has ever written a book on before. Bugger.