Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you fed up?
Thread: Are you fed up?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 02:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

It's better now than when I was trying to find music I liked in the 80's and early 90's. Napster and the internet opened it all up. Now I can find whatever I want, whenever I want instead of having to record a tune off the radio, or borrow someone's 8-Track, cassette, CD, or album to copy, then return it (or not). It used to be a time when you'd go over to someone's house, and they'd put on a CD or whatever, and if you liked it, you'd have to jump in the car (or walk) and go to a record store and purchase it, if the person didn't want to loan it to you. Then, with time, the CD or what ever medium you purchased would scratch, get wet, break, wear out, etc. and you'd have to go buy it again.

I remember when I first discovered Napster. There were maybe a few thousand people on it, and you could search all their library's and cherry pick what you wanted. Then it exploded, and I started finding obscure albums like Orbital (it was obscure to me at that time) for an example, and bootlegs of things I hadn't hear before. I'd spend entire days at my job DL'ing loads of music, since we had a T1 line which is now the norm, and built up a huge catalog of music. Since then, it's only gotten better.

As far as the quality of music these days, that's really all relative to the listener. A person born in the 00's will have a very different opinion on quality as opposed to someone born much earlier, since that person has been subjected to to the advances in technology and music culture immediately after their birth, whereas someone born much earlier has had a sort of layering and build-up of those traits in the industry.