Music Banter - View Single Post - Need Some Help On An Article
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #55 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
What about them exactly? That argument doesn't mean much to someone as naive to the subject as me.

He beats up bad guys, just like other heroes. Where does it differentiate?
If you look at the four comics I mentioned it's not so much because he's a normal human being and therefore relatable, cause he's not. His superpower is that his will is unimaginable, to an extent that a normal person can relate to his mindset as much as they can relate to Superman's strength or the Flash's speed. He trained his mind and body through long years in a way that no person on earth will likely ever be capable of doing.

It's honestly more his aesthetic. He's a street level hero who lends himself very much to noir. Year One and The Long Halloween are both very much film noir in superhero form. The Dark Knight Returns is sort of noir combined with cyber punk. And Arkham Asylum is noir on acid. All while telling stories that are human.

Batman's real appeal is that he is superhero deconstruction without having to try.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote