Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 09:15 AM   #3105 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Goodbye and Hello
Artiste: Tim Buckley
Genre: Folk
Familiarity: Zero; is he the dad of Jeff? Yeah he is.
Recommended by: Frownland

Expectations: Unsure; it's not the kind of thing Frown tends to normally rec, so there may be a decent chance that I'll enjoy it. Or he could just be pulling my chain and I'll hate it.

1. No man can find the war: Decent opener; interesting use of sound effects. Very early Dylan. Probably.
2. Carnival song: Nice (obviously) carnival rhythm to this; decent again. Nothing that's particularly making me sit up and take notice though.
3. Pleasant Street: Kind of a sharper, harder feel to this. Again, decent, but I'm finding it hard to say anything more positive than that. Like the guitar, gets a bit wild.
4. Hallucinations: Oh god that was boring and dreary as ****!
5. I never asked to be your mountain: Thank Christ! This is much more uptempo and lively. Felt like slashing my wrists for a moment there. Hey! Who cheered! Own up!
6. Once I was: This one is nice too. Love the harmonica. Perhaps the album reached its nadir with “Hallucinations” and is taking a turn for the better now? Enjoying this much more anyway.
7. Phantasmagoria in two: This has a lot of good energy and certainly keeps the later quality up. Getting better.
8. Knight-errant: And then we get this. A sort of sub-medieval lay or something, totally boring. And very annoying.
9. Goodbye and hello: Sort of a medieval feel to this too, but much more interesting and palatable. The flute is nice. The song is probably way too long though at just shy of nine minutes. It just seems to drag on for so long that I'm tempted to change this from the original Love to a Like. **** it, it's still going on. That's it pal: you're being demoted.
10. Morning glory: Well I like this: simple, short and with a very nostalgic air to it.

End result: Started off a little weakly, but with one exception once it got going it was pretty good. Can't see myself rushing to download all of his albums though. Enjoyable, but for me, hardly essential.

So, Love or Hate? I feel it's best just to give this one a Like.