Music Banter - View Single Post - The Batlord's Anti-Poseur Thread of Metal for People Who Aren't Bitch Made Pussies
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #29 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Whiplash - Power and Pain (1985)
Thrash Metal, Speed Metal

Look at that ****ing cover. LOOK AT IT, BITCH FACE!!! That's real metal right there. It's so ****ty and cringey and ugly, but also so ****ing raw that you know no poseurs were ever allowed within ten miles of the smelly, basement studio where this must have been recorded. That... that is 80s metal in a nutshell of righteousness. But yeah it's still ****ty as ****.

I should probably talk about the actual album. If any of you don't already know about Whiplash it's probably cause you have a thoroughly ****ed cunt where your mouth should be, but I'll be nice and edumacate you. Punkified, thuggified, and junkified speed metal riffs of supreme ripping chaos with a vocalist who could have been in Cro-Mags. Like, what more do you need to know? It's just so ****ing raw and badass.

I'm not saying it sounds like Kill 'Em All, but if I had to rec one album to people who dig that **** then it might have to be this one. It's unevolved caveman **** with tons of energy, no class, and is clearly one of the not-so-missing links between Discharge and thrash metal.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote