Music Banter - View Single Post - What Did President Trump Do Now?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 10:28 PM   #517 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseagainstrocks View Post
Yay, political threads!

As a left-leaning centrist, Trump's election was shocking and disappointing. Personality flaws aside, I was bothered by his campaign's unwillingness to discuss issues or policy, outside of purposefully inflammatory anti-immigrant rhetoric and heavily distorted allegations against Hilary Clinton. There was a lot of "I will do" not "I will lead us to" or "I will work with" - I think he fundamentally misunderstands the nature of the job. Trumo voters effectively elected Mike Pence as president. I hope they knew that going in to the voting booth.

Trying to maintain a positive attitude on this whole thing, I think Trump's election will force discussion on many issues that have been deemed political third rails. Social Security and the retirement age, our relationships with other countries (Russia has been a political enemy, but not engaging out of "tradition" is just as stupid as not engaging with Cuba for 70 years), and First Amendment issues surrounding Speech, the Press, and Public Religion. Trump causes friction on all these issues. It forces all sides to sharpen arguments and work to convince the public. For instance, I'd like to see UK-style libel laws implemented here. Intentional falsehoods, disguised as fact are poison to a republic. How this would look or work or if it's even desirable, I don't know. But the 'fake news' issues that dogged this election will force some kind of reaction and, in the aggregate, I think that's a good thing.

We're not as stupid as our comedians and the world at large things we are. Just over 50% of eligible voters participated in the 2016 race. Apathy is not the same as stupidity. Trump's outrages will inspire greater political participation. As others have said in this thread, he's not a dictator, he's not a king, the Constitution has not been supplanted. This will likely be a test of our system, but the what became the Imperial Presidency began under a Progressive (FDR) and was expanded by Obama (somewhat due to congressional intransigence, but that's another story), so liberals have little moral high ground to protest against executive orders.

I do have to say to whoever put the 'milo <3' tag in this thread, you should really re-evaluate this sentiment. He hides behind the mantle of 'free speech' when he rants about feminism and Islam, but he's inciting hatred through misinformation, hyperbole, and what can only be called 'memeism'. The dumb-ing down of culture starts when guys like him.
People being weary of drug gang members or islamic terrorists entering the country is not "anti-immigrant" nor "anti-islamic." But that is how they are portrayed by the left-wing media as "anti-immigrant" and "anti-islamic."

What Trump said on the campaign trail is nothing that hasn't been brought up before within Conservative talk shows dynamic about real issues, real events. There is a whole backstory to them. Trump blurts fragments of those issues and gets picked up by the media twisted. And maybe he can be faulted for not articulating his position more clearly. But I am certain the media will demonize him on soundbites anyway.

Quote:
but he's inciting hatred through misinformation, hyperbole,
That goes both ways. If Trump said "beware of wolves in sheep's clothing" he would be accused of being "anti-sheep" by CNN.

Whoever tagged "milo <3" kudos to you for having a mind of your own, and for not being stuck in the far-left's "echo chamber."

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards