Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #3114 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Boy in Da Corner
Artiste: Dizzee Rascal
Genre: Hip-hop
Familiarity: Zero; I know the name, that's it
Recommended by: Man Like Monkey

Expectations: Well in all the time I've been running this I think I've only had one other rec from Man Like Monkey, and as it turned out that was hip-hop too but I loved it. So while I'm not exactly expecting a repeat performance, I do have a little more confidence that I won't hate this one. I could be totally wrong of course.

1. Sittin' here: Well I like the music anyway; the slow rap reminds me of Coolio – don't judge me; you know how little hip-hop I've heard. This is decent.
2. Stop dat: Bit more in-your-face; don't like the “Whoa!” or whatever it is being repeated in the background. Meh.
3. I luv U: Female vocal on this is nice. The exchange is good too, kind of a microcosm of a relationship spiralling out of control. Pretty good. Who's yer wan? Ah, sure I wouldn't know her anyway I imagine.
4. Brand new day: Yeah that one was okay too. But just okay.
5. 2 far: Not mad about this one. What's with the sped-up voices??
6. Fix up, look sharp: Touch of Prince in this. Not bad. Not bad at all. Good energy in it.
7. Cut 'em off: OK, I tried to be nice but now I'm just getting bored.
8. Hold ya mouth: Yawn
9. Round we go (Ain't no love): Yawn
10. Jus' a rascal: Heh. Sounds like they're singing “He's just an arsehole!” Other than that, meh.
11. Wot U on: Female vocals help this, but it ain't getting a Green.
12. Jezebel: Oh dear god this is annoying. Make it stop.
13. Seems 2 be: That's even worse.
14. Live O: Damn thing! Listening to this garbage made me forget to put on my dinner, and that should have been in the oven ten minutes ago! I therefore hate this track on basic principle, but also cause I hate it.
15. Do it!: Do what? Turn it off? Can do, matey! And that's the end of that nightmare! Shiver. Actually to be fair that was not too bad, which is about as much praise as I can muster for it.

End result: Severe disappointment. Nowhere near as good as I had hoped it would be, but I suppose I should have seen The Streets as more an aberration than a true example of British hip-hop. Didn't enjoy that at all, sorry.

So, Love or Hate? Started off relatively well, then I realised I was basically trying to like it more than I did, making excuses. I finally accepted that I didn't like it so it gets a Hate.