Music Banter - View Single Post - Rate the avatar above yours
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #13145 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
*memory you context ignoring bastard

Except for the ending part, all you did was describe parts of the episode like you were outraged by them, without any indication of why that particular thing was bad.
How can that need explaining? But if you insist. Also, hindsight and memory are not the same thing, just so you know. Oh, and I wasn't outraged by the episode, just amazed that you would choose that as an example of a so-called good current episode.

Carl
Spoiler for In case people have not yet seen it:
robs his lifelong friends of their one chance of happiness. He runs off with their lottery winnings. Bad. Bad for Carl, bad for Homer and co. Bad all round. Terrible thing to have to burden a character with
and yes I know it's not real but you asked for clarification.

Spoiler for same:
Carl thinks his family have been wrongly accused of letting the invaders in. He steals the money to buy the missing page in the book of history that will prove this, but all it proves is that everyone was right all along and his ancestors were scumbag traitors to their own people. Bad for him, and doubly bad that his friends (who, somehow, remain his friends even after he has ripped them off) cover up this fact instead of sharing it with him.

At the end, all is forgiven. Perhaps an upbeat message, yes, but unrealistic. If your buddy robbed your lottery winnings, no matter for what,
would you ever forgive him?

How much more do you want? How was that a good episode? How did it influence Carl's character development in any way but badly? He has now the burden of carrying the guilt
Spoiler for and again:
of having ripped off his friends, thinks his family are innocent and they're not,
so is pretty much back where he started, except he, you know, robbed his mates of their one chance of happiness.

All bad. Can't see any good in it whatever. Also, that's my opinion so don't tell me it's wrong, but I fail to see how you can say that there was good character development for Carl. It was a clear case of the writers, again, reaching, and coming up with perhaps one of the most preposterous storylines ever in the show. And no, it did not raise so much as a chuckle. As I said, Sigur Ros. That was it. Terrible, on every level.

Happy?