Music Banter - View Single Post - Rate the avatar above yours
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #13147 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Homer Simpson is a former astronaut and you're upset that the Simpsons are unrealistic?
As I said, I know it's not real. Cartoons are cartoons. Nobody's going to start debating the merits of allowing Roadrunner to lead Wile E Coyote over the cliff, or rage about Tom getting beaten up by something Jerry did. But you're the one who brought character development into it, therefore you opened the door for a semi-serious discussion, as if this were written about real people. Nobody worries about Mickey Mouse's character developing, or whether it's realistic to expect Bert and Ernie to sleep in the same bed. All that's understood, and I of course realise that The Simpsons is not to be taken seriously. But in the context (your own word) of our conversation, and given that you were already assigning more importance to simple cartoon characters than they deserve, I was discussing the episode in that light.

So yes, if a Simpsons episode is unrealistic but funny, I don't mind too much but I do prefer them to make a certain amount of sense. If, however, an episode is unrealistic AND NOT funny, then I would have a problem with it being held up as an example of how the show is not in the toilet, or at least, waiting outside bursting to go. I neither found the Carl episode well written nor funny, so that's why I was surprised you did. What, may I ask, did you find particularly funny about it, if anything?

Edit: Oh, again I say, if you want to continue this conversation I really think it should be moved. You're a mod, you can do it. Is it not your sworn duty?