Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #3128 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Ask the Ages
Artiste: Sonny SHarrock
Genre: Jazz
Familiarity: Zero
Recommended by: Who else but Quagmire? I mean, Frownland!

Expectations: As ever, it's the J-word that sends shivers down my spine, and not in a good way. At least it's a relatively short album.

1. Promises kept: Oh great! Mad screeching horns. Just what I want to hear. This is terrible, and if it's all like this, well, where's me red pen?
2. Who does she hope to be?: Well this is nicer. Guitar is very smooth, horns not so wild, more relaxed.
3. Little rock: This is better too. It's so much better when he lets the guitar do the talking rather than the mad horns. This is more uptempo but still very catchy.
4. As we used to sing: This, however, is just annoying, a real example of the freeform/chaotic/do-whatever-the-****-you-like jazz I tend to hate. And I hate this.
5. Many mansions: Not bad; a little repetitive but memorable certainly. Even the horns don't bother me that much.
6. Once upon a time: This isn't too bad, quite smooth, like the high tone of the guitar. Ah, whaddya want from me? I'm not a guitarist.

End result: Hmm. Started off expecting to hate it, but it sort of grew on me. Not something I'd be listening to again certainly, and I would say in general I more tolerated it than enjoyed it, but still, given the bad start not a bad end result.

So, Love or Hate? I'll give it a Like.