Music Banter - View Single Post - The Couch Potato presents: Trollheart's Box Office
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default The Couch Potato presents: Trollheart's Box Office

New year, new start. Time to move some of my shit out of here...

By which I mean, I'm again subdividing a journal. When I said I would add movies on an infrequent basis to The Couch Potato I didn't realise how much fun it was (and how much work) and I have a load of ideas, but they can't blossom there without my losing focus on my TV stuff, so rather than try to shoehorn them in where I can, I'm going to transfer all movie material from that journal to this new one, leaving me free to continue there with only strictly television series.

So grab your popcorn, come on in, take a seat and let me bid you welcome.

A

PRODUCTION

Coming up at some point:
Shark Tales: Reviewing all the shark movies, from the Jaws quadrology to Deep Blue Sea and from Open Water to 12 Days of Terror. Movies like Sharktopus or any other movie depicting a shark in anything other than its natural habitat will not be considered—though they may turn up in Trollheart's Cinema Craptastique—nor will any in which a shark does any of the following: upsets a bikini contest, is thawed out from its prehistoric form or comes back from the dead. Believe me, these all exist! But I'll be concentrating on, for lack of another phrase, serious shark movies.

Box Office Draws Originally to have been a film-by-film review of all the Pixar movies, I discovered there aren't as many as I thought, and that of those, a lot are sequels, so that would be boring. Instead, I'm going to widen this out and review all or as many as I can of the animated movies, starting from the one that kicked it all off, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and coming right up to date with the likes of Despicable Me and Finding Dory, though unlike in my History of Cartoons journal these will not be in order and I will pick from the list as the mood takes me.

Your're (not) speaking my language! My foray into foreign-language films. This is not exactly new territory for me, but I'm not as au fait with World Cinema as I would like to be, so I'll be happy to take any suggestions you have.

Commander-in-Chief: Movies about, or revolving around, the President.

A Movie Too Far? Looking at whether certain sequels work or not, whether they should have left a classic as it was, or whether the original movie needed, or did not need, a follow up. Often it works, more often though it does not, and in this feature I'll be looking at plenty of examples and questioning the motives behind sequels, and the aftermath of same.

Fill Your Hand, You Son of a Bitch! A look through some of the best (and possibly worst) Western movies.

Eirigi! (pronounced eye-rig-ee; literally "rise up!") Where I'll be featuring films starring Irish actors, directors, writers etc.

Battlegrounds War films in focus

Breaking the Law Any sort of movies revolving around law enforcement, or the opposition to it - gangster, Mafia, cop films etc.

The Rest is Silence Reviews of movies from the silent era

You're History! Period or historical movies, often biographical but not necessarily.

Don't Make Me Laugh! My pick of comedy movies

Note: I'll be going through the ones I've already reviewed and adding logos to place them within the various specific categories.

Last edited by Trollheart; 12-20-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote