Music Banter - View Single Post - First Punk Band?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #54 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
Would you say that, maybe, punk is also a broad term
Broad in the same sense that indie doesn't necessarily define one particular sound or style. Garage was used as not-as-popular, or not-as-mainstream as bands that were on top of the charts, and had sell out concert. There is a list of names they used to indicate something other than just mainstream: Prat Rock, Garage Rock, Underground, Experimental, Punk, College, Alternative/Alt, indie etc. Sometimes a band might have one foot in mainstream and the other foot in obscurity, like one hit wonders. Sometimes a genre like Punk could include both pop bands and underground bands.

Quote:
I mean you're not gonna tell me with a straight face that there wasn't surf rock influence in Ramones for instance
I don't where you got that from. I said Garage was more that just Rockabilly. I didn't say anything about the Ramones.
Quote:
And garage rock was used for American bands too
I said that they were bands that weren't big as the "British Invasion" bands, I didn't say they only came from Britain. Honestly, I don't know why I bother sometimes.

Got Live if You Like It

They say that a band usually speeds up the tempo when they play live, faster that whats on an album. The Rolling Stones are no exemption. They had a very fast and energetic sound when they played live. "Got Live if You Like It" is good proof. I am not saying their sound is Punk, but they show they had some element that shows up in Punk.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote