Music Banter - View Single Post - The Final Sound
Thread: The Final Sound
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #112 (permalink)
Zer0

This is a Long Drive...

Music and long journeys go hand in hand. Listening to an album or playlist is ideal for passing the time, or to provide the soundtrack for the world rolling by. Here's some albums which provide a great soundtrack for a long journey by road.

Antarctica - 81:03 (1999)

Interestingly the title of this double album is derived from its running time, as was their 1997 E.P. 23:03. What the fuck does this sound like you might ask? It sounds like so many things. This album gives genre borders a right screwing over, it crosses so many styles it's impressive. Post-rock, midwest-emo, synthpop, dream pop, shoegaze, indie rock, ambient techno, The Cure (yes I'm including them here as a genre). Perhaps even New Order gone prog. This album is essentially a marketing nightmare, which is probably why it remained so obscure.

When visiting Poland two years ago I had this album on my phone, and it made for a fantastic soundtrack for travelling between cities by bus. The album never impacted me as much outside of that context, and perhaps some songs could be trimmed back somewhat. But something about the nature of this album and its long instrumental passages seems ideal for long journeys.

Bardo Pond - Amanita (1996)

Unsurprisingly there are no deserts in Ireland. The nearest thing would be semi-desolate bogland found around parts of the middle of Ireland. But if I was to hit the road and go driving through a desert, with windows down and music blaring, this album would be the soundtrack.

The guitars have so much fuzz that it sounds like they are being played through malfunctioning amps fried by the sun. The album's sunburnt and psychedelic nature suggests to me desert as far as the eye can see, passing by eerie ghost towns, and the rusted shells of old cars. If I ever visit the American West and rent a car I will certainly keep this album in mind.

Modest Mouse - This is a Long Drive for Someone With Nothing to Think About (1996)

I could almost include Lonesome Crowded West and The Moon & Antarctica here as well. But this album seems to sprawl better than those two albums. Despite this album being less focused, and perhaps not quite as good as the other two albums mentioned, it sounds more suited to road-trips.

For me this album is perfect when you are not in any hurry to reach your destination. The music doesn't sound like it's in any hurry to reach any kind of end or conclusion itself. It takes all the time it needs to build up a particular mood or feeling, and changing it whenever it pleases. Not many bands could sprawl as effectively as Modest Mouse do here.

Last edited by Zer0; 01-23-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote