Music Banter - View Single Post - First Punk Band?
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 11:56 AM   #96 (permalink)
Psy-Fi
Aficionado of Fine Filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
My punk rock credentials are worse than Chula's, but I thought I'd chip in with a bit of proto punk: this is from The Dictators' March 1975 album, so it predates some other suggestions here. My guess is that The Dictators had too much humour and not enough aggression to count as real punk rockers. Amirite?

Also, as I understand it, "Punk" was firstly the title of a NYC fanzine issued in the early days of CBGB's, describing bands that played there,etc,etc. Isn't that how the genre got its name? The Sex Pistols may've had a bigger success/impact, but they weren't, as someone suggested a few pages back, the first punk rock band.
I saw The Dictators last year at one of my favorite small venues and even with all the humor running throughout their songs, they definitely sound like what I consider to be punk rock. Richard "Handsome Dick" Manitoba and Ross "The Boss" Friedman from the original Dictators with JP “Thunderbolt” Patterson, Daniel Rey, and Dean Rispler. Easily one of the most thoroughly enjoyable and ass-kicking punk shows I've ever seen in the past 39 years (holy crap! the years fly by fast! )

She's a Brick House
Psy-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote