Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds from Innerspace
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 01:31 PM   #507 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post
From what I've read on Wiki, the storyline is fairly well understood. Are there elements of the plot left open to interpretation?
Yes, the whole plot is completely open to interpretation. Suda51 intentionally made it so that each individual player has to decide for themselves what is real and what is symbolic in every scene. Is it the story of two immortals fighting endlessly throughout time? Is it about an assassin that is brainwashed by the government, and Harman and Kun Lan (as well as everyone else) are just elements implanted in him to control him? Is it about an old man going crazy as he sits alone waiting to die, and the whole story is a mixture of his memories and what he sees on his TV? Or is it all just a metaphor for the futility of politics and war?

There are also a whole bunch of unanswered questions throughout the game, and everyone who plays the game has to fill in the blanks for themselves. For example:

Spoiler for possible spoilers:
Why does Kun Lan, the villain, have the "Hand of God"? Was he actually the good guy, fighting to prevent a totalitarian world void of freedom? Or was he simply a symbol of eastern culture clashing with the west? Why does Garcian react to security cameras the way that he does? What exactly is the Yakumo (a document detailing the UN party's policy? A list of Japanese spies that have infiltrated the US? A symbol of authority that a certain voting block is sworn to back?)? Who is LOVE, and what did she mean when she was talking to Garcian? Is Emir a human and his rebirth/longevity simply a metaphor, or is he more than human? What specifically is Kun Lan's involvement with Emir? Who is Iwazaru and his wife, and should what happens in the trailer's basement be taken literally? Who is screaming behind the metal door in Garcian's trailer? Who is the Gatekeeper of the Vinculum Gate?

If you ever get the chance to play the game, I'd love to hear your thoughts. If you go hunting for a copy (or a ROM), I would recommend the version developed for the Gamecube. It's the original, and features several graphical differences from the PS2 version, as well as shorter loading times.
-----------------------------
|---Deafbox Industries---|
-----------------------------
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote