Music Banter - View Single Post - Most annoying TV cliches
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2017, 05:45 PM   #36 (permalink)
Chiomara
mayor of spookytown

That thing where the character -always- has to stare into the mirror (before wincing and sighing dramatically) before swallowing medication. Just take the damn Seroquel, Rebecca.

And the thing where a classical song plays while something violent is happening. I only have a problem with this because it's always the same few songs and opera pieces. For once I'd like to hear a Scott Walker's "Farmer in the city" (that would be delightful) or Swans song during a murder scene, or at least some other less overplayed classical piece.

I also thoroughly hate forced romantic subplots between the male/female leads in action & thriller type shows/movies, what with all the dumb cringey banter. (Especially when the male lead is a grizzled world-weary ex-cop who eats cigarettes and glass for breakfast or whatever, and the female lead has no identifiable personality yet is still somehow equally annoying? Like when they do something marginally athletic and the dude is all "Where'd you learn how to do that"? And she flips her hair and goes "Oh that? I grew up with lots of brothers, lol". So many movies have that stupid line.) Whhhyyy must there always be a romantic subplot. Get 'em away from me.

And, having endured many bad netflix indie movies and short-lived shows about quarter-life/mid-life crises, I'm annoyed by just about every character trope in them. Like the "nerdy" dudebros with a Nice Guy™ complex and of course the constant Manic Pixie Dreamgirl trope. (I cannot remember the name of a single one of these movies because they're forgettable.) I'm all for movies that try to portray depression/mental illness and stuff, but they could do so much more with it.

There's also some Joss Whedon-specific things. Like Angel's entire character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyislingering View Post
When "nerdy"/outcast girls turn out to be super hot princesses just by taking off their glasses.

Bitch, please.
This.

It's also hilarious when they attempt to make incredibly gorgeous actresses/actors look frumpy or average. Like... Just use regular-looking actors, maybe? (This is why I appreciate British TV and movies; regular characters actually resemble regular people.) Or at least ones that don't look like generically-attractive Gap models who were grown in a lab.

Last edited by Chiomara; 01-28-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Chiomara is offline   Reply With Quote