Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #419 (permalink)
Key

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl

You ever get that wonder feeling when you find a game in the same region of other games that you absolutely love? Well, S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl fits that bill when it comes to games that are like Fallout, but old and somewhat better. People at this forum know fairly well by now that I'm a humongous fan of the Fallout series, specifically Fallout 3. The apocalyptic nature and the barren wasteland made for a fantastic first time experience not too long ago. Now, as much as I like that game, it does come with its glitches and faulty hardware due to it being so old, but god damn it's good. This of course prompted me to be on the lookout for games much like it, and thus S.T.A.L.K.E.R made its way into my Steam library.

I think it was through the video game thread that Batty was saying he was playing this game, and of course knowing him and how he rates his games, I took his advice seriously when he was telling people to play it, and god damn it's good. You get placed right at the beginning already needing to figure out how to fend for yourself, and if you aren't aware of the difficulty of this game, it becomes abundantly clear in the first mission. I can safely say I probably died around 10 times before I figured out the right maneuvers and formula in order to take the enemies down. And of course, me being me, I was offered help on this mission but I was like "nah, it's the first mission, how hard could it be?" Boy was I wrong. You learn really fast that if you can get the help, take it, because you're going to need it.

I take the game for what it is because much like Fallout 3, S.T.A.L.K.E.R is an older game, so it doesn't meet the standards of today's games graphically. However, everything else the game has to offer holds up really well. The combat is enticing, the overall feel of the game is depressing enough to make you feel like you're truly alone. It's very easy to control, and it's nowhere near as broken as one may think. It's tough to say whether or not a lot of people would enjoy this game, because as I said earlier, it comes with a pretty high difficulty level that catches you off guard. You wouldn't even think for a second that the first few missions would be difficult, but damn they are. But it just makes it so much more rewarding when you figure it out.

I'd say if you're in for a challenge, give this game a go.