Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #425 (permalink)
Key

Runescape

Back in 2004, I stumbled upon a game pretty much by accident and little did I know, everybody in my middle school had already latched onto this game. Yes, I'm talking of course about Runescape. We've all heard about it, and we've all showed some sort of admiration for the game whether it's the original music or the hopeless addiction you find yourself in.

Although recently, or throughout the past couple years, the Runescape that I used to know seized to exist, I still have a special place in my heart for this game for many reasons. One of course being one of the greatest MMO's I have ever played. Keep in mind, this was back in the day where Runescape and World of Warcraft were THE games to play, and since I didn't really have the money to cater to a World of Warcraft addiction, I stuck to Runescape. Funny enough, it wasn't even the paid version. I played the free to play version for years before I convinced my mom to put her credit card on file in order for me to play the members game. And man...my world opened up.

Runescape has many flaws, from the salty community to the now grind grind grind mentality, but back in its hey day, it was a place to escape from the real world and enjoy hours upon hours of fun. I met so many online friends through Runescape and some I had managed to keep for years, up until they as well decided to quit. With the company putting in updates that weren't overly favorable, they basically killed their own game.

Now, don't get me wrong, up until a few months ago, I was still playing this game off and on. I've been on an uphill and downhill battle with this game where I'll quit for long periods of time, but then I'll get right back into it as if nothing had happened. It was a game that I knew I could always turn to when I didn't have anything else to play. It even got to a point back when I started in 2004 where I was neglecting my homework for school, and I basically thank Runescape for making me have to take two summer school classes in order to pass high school. But you know what? I have no regrets. The memories I made with the game will stick with me for the rest of my life.

I know there are a lot of people that still play the new Runescape and a lot of Youtubers play the old school version, which I watch regularly. More specifically, A Friend:

I strongly believe and somewhat hope that the game does pick up again and continue to flourish, because even if you look at the comment sections of the old music that played in the game, you can see hundreds of people reliving their childhoods through the music alone. That's how captivating the game was.

Whether you played the game or not, the company behind this game have managed to keep themselves afloat and I can't even imagine how much the company is worth now. But when it really boils down to it, I think the draw behind it all will be that people will always have fond memories of this game, and the company will be the reason for that. Although they may not know where they want to go now, nothing will ever replace the memories that this game brought.

Truly a magnificent game and one that I will cherish for a lifetime.