Music Banter - View Single Post - Should Chula Stop Posting in the Trump Thread?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #60 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I've come around to the idea that punk was necessary to kill this kind of self-indulgent, unselfaware bull****.
100% agree with this although I have to quote something from a decades later review of Physical Graffiti: This album represents a time when dinosaurs walked the earth. And walked proudly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
So black sabbath formed, created a LZ inspired album and had it on shelves in 13 months? I think you have to be around a lot longer than that to be a heavy influence.
Factoid you may not know: The brilliant manager of Zep, Peter Grant, had advance pressings of LZ1 (shipped in plain white sleeves since the cover hadn't been designed yet) sent to all of the newly flourishing progressive FM radio stations months before the album hit the stores.

The immediate impact was overwhelming. FM back then could do whatever the hell they wanted and stations like WBCN in Boston would spin the entire album for days in a row. By the time LZ1 was officially released people were well aware of the band from the radio and their initial shows prior to the release of the album - 40 dates total, the first 31 being in Europe.

Everyone in the rock world was blown away long before you could buy the first album.

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote