Music Banter - View Single Post - The Elusive World of Post Modern Rock
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 10:26 PM   #33 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Afternoon Naps

band name: Afternoon Naps
album title: Parade
tracklist:
  1. Plum City Fight Song
  2. Beach Bums
  3. The Day We Started
  4. Mitten Fingers
  5. Seasons May Change
  6. The Fall Companion
  7. Catholic School
  8. Discoverse
  9. Bubblegum 45
  10. Digitally Altered Sunset

I really like this album, it's one of my favorites. The best way to describe their sound is a mix of My Favorite and The Smiths, with a good dose of 60s Pop sensibilty.
Plum City Fight Song - A nice bright sounding gutiar, "string" sound from organ, and light touches of a xylophone are the backdrop for a sincerely sung lyrics. The opening track is a bit low key, but that quickly changes with the next song.
Beach Bums - Starts off like Mystery Achievement then it settles into more of a 60s Pop song, it has a Motown beat to it.
The Day We Started - Has a Housemartin meets Betty And The Werewolves feel.
Mitten Fingers - The in and out swell of the synthesize reminds me of the in-between part of songs on "A Certain Smile, A Certain Sadness" album. The chorus definitely very similar to My Favorite.
Seasons May Change - has the feel of Love Is All Around by The Troggs
The Fall Companion has those clear clean Peter Buck arpeggios.
Catholic School Starts right off with a Carl Wilson 12 String riff, then it settles into a Johnny and the Hurricanes solo, especially the organ solo. The "I hate school" lines is a bit cheesy, but humorous.
Discoverse - The title is Disco + verse, and the song does have a Disco sound, but it's blend with Electroclash.
Bubblegum 45 The song has a Sunshine Pop sound overall, especially the "bah bah bah" intro, and the flute solo. But the rhythm guitar tends be more like The Smiths and the drum is doing a break beat with a shuffle feel.
Digitally Altered Sunset a mellow ending to a pretty much up-beat album.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote