Music Banter - View Single Post - Echoes of Antiquity
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

The Sugar Shoppe

band:The Sugar Shoppe
album: The Sugar Shoppe
tracklist:
  1. Skip-a-long Sam 3:00
  2. The Attitude 2:18
  3. Baby Baby 3:18
  4. Take Me Away 2:59
  5. Let The Truth Come Out 2:57
  6. Follow Me (From "Camelot") 2:30
  7. Poor Papa 2:24
  8. Privilege (From The Film "Privilege") 3:08
  9. Papa, Won't You Let Me Go To Town With You 3:30
  10. The Candy Children Song 2:35
  11. Hangin' Together 2:29

The first track is Skip-a-long Sam. "It's very jammy" as Donovan would say. He should know, he wrote the tune, and a great tune at that. Donovan is genius to write such a catchy song. Their approach is a bit different from his. He sings the original with a hypnotic voice with a syncopated delivery back by a drummer using brushes, a guitar player comping out Jazz chords, and piano player lightly tickling the ivory keys. In comparison the original is very minimalist. The Candy Shoppe pull out all the stops with a band. They add vibes, horns, and four part harmony. The ending is a bit oddly, the guy asks Sam "you've been trippin?" and she says "no, skippin" then they start to laugh, but a little too much, he begins to sound like Dr. Evil, from Austen Powers.

As a vocal group, there is an immediate connection with The Mamas & The Papas, and The 5th Dimension. They make up some of the best in Sunshone Pop. Where The Mamas and the Papas and The 5th Dimension were based in California (with some member coming from other parts of the country) The Sugar Shoppe were from Canada. Not sure if they had any success elsewhere. However one member from the group, Victor Garber, went on to a half decent acting career. He was in Sleepless in Seattle and Legally Blonde. He currently plays Dr. Martin Stein, a regular on Legends of Tomorrow and as a guest star on The Flash. Victor Garber - IMDb

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 02-05-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote