Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you religious?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #855 (permalink)
DwnWthVwls
Fck Ths Thngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
Which position?
This one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
Im not gonna go off on a tyrade about it but any system/religion/ideaology that tells you what to think instead of teaching you how to think is the enemy of progression and worth criticizing. (Im sure im paraphrasing Dawkins with this but i cant give you a direct quote).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
However, it's important to remember that there is a fine line between the two and that the former can be disguised as the latter.
Agreed, I think that's a valid point, but I don't think science is guilty of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I read a Sam Harris book back in the day, but that's pretty much the extent of my Serious Atheist Research. I like arguing that **** on occasion, but **** me I don't understand why so many atheists care so much about this ****. God doesn't exist, fantastic, stupendous, moving on.
I don't disagree and I don't push my opinions on anyone or go out of my way to convince religious people to stop believing. However, as I stated above, I think religion is one of the greatest contributors of human stagnation, and as someone who gives a damn about the long term progression of humans, it's logical for me to criticize faith without evidence. It's very much the same reason I care about the health of the planet and criticize those who only care about temporary solutions. I genuinely care about the well being of humans 10-20-100 generations from now. Progress matters - social, moral, scientific, take your pick, we should always be striving to achieve idealistic societies even if we never get there, much in the same way I can never be a perfect person but I am always working on improving myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'd vote for Trump

Last edited by DwnWthVwls; 02-06-2017 at 04:08 PM.
DwnWthVwls is offline   Reply With Quote