Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 10:51 AM   #429 (permalink)
Key

Papers, Please

This game, with its simple concept performed through a heavily captivating environment and story, has definitely deserved the high scores and hype it has gotten around the internet. Youtubers that I frequently follow have had nothing but good things to say about this game, and I agree with all of them.

Papers, Please is a sort of simulation story where you take the role of a border control guard to keep people from leaving the country, or to allow them in. The depth of the game comes from the fact that you really need to be sure you're not letting terrorists into the country, or letting people in illegally. Of course, this can have repercussions where if you do let a terrorist in, he'll go on a killing rampage in the border crossing area. It's very interesting because this can also effect your home life. Some days you won't make enough money to buy your family some food, and then of course they get sick and die if you can't help them. So, the incentive is that you really want to be paying attention to who you deny or allow access. It can have its positives and its heavy negatives.

You really start to feel for some of the characters that show up in the border crossing because they tell you that they either don't have enough money to afford a passport, or they've been waiting for several years to be able to get through. Emotionally you can't let yourself get to you because it'll only mean that you accidentally let an illegal immigrant into the country. And that once again can have its negative outcomes.

I'm actually shocked at how much I enjoyed my first couple play throughs, but it is really very something special.