Music Banter - View Single Post - Echoes of Antiquity
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 02:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Fields

1. A Friend Of Mine 5:25
  2. While The Sun Still Shines 3:15
  3. Not So Good 3:07
  4. Three Minstrels 4:28
  5. Slow Susan 3:45
  6. Over And Over Again 5:55
  7. Feeling Free 3:12
  8. Fair-Haired Lady 3:00
  9. A Place To Lay My Head 4:25
  10. The Eagle 5:15

The art work was the first thing that caught my eye, it was done by Colin See-Paynton. (pictured above) He is an noted wood engraver. His mainly work consists of wood cuts, and prints that focuses on birds and nature.

The organ & keyboard player is fantastic, when he plays there are these phrases that remind me of other keyboard players like Tony Banks, Jon Lord, Keith Emerson, Goldy McJohn (Steppenwolf)

A Friend Of Mine - From the first five seconds you can tell what you're in store for: a Progressive Rock album with top notch musicians. The keyboard player is as talented as
While The Sun Still Shines The song features a funky clav keyboard sound. They sing "da, da daah" in harmony like Yes. They end the song with the organ and guitar jamming, during the fade out it sounds like Goldy McJohn organ playing from Steppenwolf.
Not So Good - a slow number. It starts off with what reminds me of Dennis Wilson playing piano and singing Forever. Then it builds up after about half a minute through. The bass enters followed by drums and organ.
Three Minstrels - One of the only thing that I didn't like about the album was the sound of the drum during the intro. If Chinese water torture had a sound it would be it.
Slow Susan
Over And Over Again This song opens with heavy Greg Lake riff, like something he did with King Crimson or ELP. The vocals are bit Jon Anderson but deeper. The lyrics would be like something Greg Lake would pen.
Feeling Free this songs opens up with piano part that sounds very similar to Bill Withers '72 hit Lean On Me. Notice that Fields release the album a year before. Bill Withers I am surprised at you! Pulling a page right out of Jimmy Page's book of tricks ... well really all musicians beg, borrow, and steal.
Fair-Haired Lady a slow quiet number, vocals accompanied with arpeggios on an acoustic guitar a warm clarinet played by Dafne Down that enters half way through the song.
A Place To Lay My Head back to business with this number.
The Eagle The intro to this song reminds me a little like Cannon in D. The rest of the bands joins in.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 02-09-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote