Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #432 (permalink)
Key

Fallout 4

This one is a bit of an awkward title to include in this months theme, because I've found myself going back and forth about whether or not Fallout 4 is a great game. I still stand somewhat in between that opinion even though I've got over 100 hours in the game. It really tries to be a phenomenal sequel to the previous installments in the series, but at the same time, it still takes away from what we truly love from Fallout games. The feeling of isolation, loneliness, despair, and lack of hope. Fallout 3 was perfect for everything it wanted to offer. A broken and destroyed city filled with little to no life left. Fallout 4 attempted the opposite and wanted to bring across the feeling of hope and rebuilding, but for me, it just didn't work. Not as much as I hoped it would anyway.

Though I can't fault the game that much, because it is still a really fun game, and offers enough content to allow for such a shift in style. On the other hand, Bethesda did do what they do best with the Far Harbor DLC. I've played it myself, and it really adds what Fallout 4 needed. A dark and close to little world to live in with the survivors basically fighting themselves to survive. Offers a really well written side story as well. I'd certainly recommend trying the DLC if you really feel Fallout 4 wasn't what you wanted.

I suppose on another spectrum, part of what turned people off of Fallout 4 was a mix of its rusty release with the uncertainty of whether the game was even going to start for people, and the fact that even if you got the game to run, it was very choppy and felt like it hadn't been optimized for any PC users. I don't know what the experience was like for people that played on console. I'd imagine its a much better experience. I can't really fault Fallout 4 for that though, since that seems to be a trend with Bethesda games in general. Luckily that's what we love and hate about the company. Good games, bad optimizing skills.

I would still strongly suggest that if you're a fan of Bethesda and the Fallout series, check this game out. Don't just write it off because people have explained their disappointments. It's just got what you want with a Fallout game. The combat, the essentials, the world, it's all there. It just lacks what you would find in Fallout 3.