Music Banter - View Single Post - Sia's Vocal Style
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Snowman999
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I dig Sia a lot and love her voice. Not sure I agree with her vocal style being this wholly unique thing though. I definitely hear a lot of Pat Benatar and Siouxsie Sioux in her, and even a little Cyndi Lauper and Kim Carnes.
I don't hear her at all in any of those artists. I've been a fan of all of them since they started out. Sia has an expressly distinct sound.

I used to see Lauper with her first band Blue Angel (in my top ten of all time favorite albums). When her first solo album came out, I knew she still played "I'm Gonna Be Strong" and I yelled for her to do it. There was a short exchange between us and she told to F off. It was great. She still played the song.

I saw Benatar on her first tours of the US. One of the first artists where the guitarist was as much a focus as the singer. Neil on those first albums had the coolest solos. She'd plant her legs spread on stage in those tight pants, oh man...

I saw Dylan once and GE Smith was his guitarist. His solos were the highlight of each song. IMO Smith is one of the greatest guitarist.
Snowman999 is offline   Reply With Quote