Music Banter - View Single Post - True Best Picture of the Year.
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 01:36 PM   #204 (permalink)
Exo
All day jazz and biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPOCH6 View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding the Mahershala Ali hype for Best Supporting Actor. I watched Moonlight last night and while it was certainly a beautifully made movie I wasn't even close to awestruck by the end credits. I was actually more impressed by both Dev Patel's performance in Lion and Michael Shannon's performance in Nocturnal Animals. Mahershala Ali's role seemed quite small in comparison and there were no particular scenes that made a lasting impression on me or felt like an "Oscar winning" moment. I feel like Dev Patel especially demonstrated a wider range of emotion.
It's a subtle role in every aspect of the word. The academy does seem to like these kinds of roles. Mark Rylance won last year in this fashion. For me, I thought Ali was able to convey serious emotion through very subtle facial expressions and body language. That last scene at the dinner table stayed with me throughout the whole film. The swimming scene was also just cathartic in my eyes. I certainly wanted more after the film ended but I thought what we got was enough to win the award which is what I'm going to guess is going to happen. I wouldn't be outraged if Hedges or Shannon won. They were fantastic too. Haven't seen Lion. Bridges was...well, Bridges.

SUPREME POO BAH MODERATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote