Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 10:50 AM   #434 (permalink)
Key

Planet Coaster

When it comes to games that rely heavily on player decisions and strategy, I'm completely on board. Games like Rimworld, This War Of Mine, all those style of games. Well, Planet Coaster certainly takes the cake for being one of the most fantastically made roller coaster sims to date. Now, don't get me wrong, I know there are a lot of people that are hugely into the Roller Coaster Tycoon games. The only complaint I've heard from those fans is that there just isn't the real sense of accomplishment or management in those games. Alas, Planet Coaster brings that and more.

You basically have several different game modes, but the most challenging and most rewarding is the survival mode where you are given a starting wage, and you have to decide which rides you want to build, and research new rides and items, along with paying off loans if you took a few loans to start off. I typically try to only take one loan when I start, but when you get to the harder difficulties, it's much more cost effective to use every last cent you have before getting into loans.

Some of the best parts of the game is the access of pure absurdity. The game plays a lot like the Sim games do where the people and characters have unique traits, and they don't fear the fact that the individual characters are weird as ****. You'll get people that throw up all over the place because they can't handle a roller coaster (which you can make some terrifying but brilliant roller coasters). Then you have to hire janitors and mechanics to keep your park running nicely and efficiently.

The only draw back to the game is the fact that if you get a large enough park, the game starts to slow down. Even people with better computers than my own have been experiencing lag once you start getting so many moving parts going at once. But...unfortunately that is the cost of having every piece in the game be its own sentient being. Everything moves as its own, but when meshed altogether, you do run into some lag issues. Of course, if you get that far into the park building, it's probably time to start over on a new difficulty anyway.

Overall, I've put a good 6 hours into it, but that low number is due to me sometimes just not being in the mood. It truly is a great game, and any fan of the Roller Coaster Tycoon games should certainly get this one. Especially if you're huge into the management style games like I am.