Music Banter - View Single Post - The Country, Folk & World Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 05:05 PM   #693 (permalink)
Chiomara
mayor of spookytown

Wonderful! Two of my favorite instruments. I've heard of Old Crow Medicine Show (and your selection was lovely), but not the rest! French Canadian folk is something I really must delve into more often, apparently.

(Do you play any instruments by the way? I've been dying to learn either the dulcimer or pixie harp. In my head I am part of a very successful Tom Waits/Moondog cover band, you see.)

Speaking of fiddles-- I discovered Laura Cannell recently and have been blown away to smithereens. Very romantic and haunting; you can definitely hear the medieval folk inspiration/influence:

She also utilizes a technique called over-bowing that I'm reading about now in her interview on The Quietus: The Quietus | Features | In Extremis | Fragments Of Fragments: An Interview With Laura Cannell

And I stumbled across this one just now earlier while seeking out more Mexican, Spanish and south American folk-- it's startlingly beautiful:

I have not even skimmed the surface of her catalog, so I can't say whether I recommend it, but she has such a pure and lovely voice.

Oh, and here's one more Hurray for the Riff Raff song! I really love the dive-bar-in-the-deep-south feel of this one:

Her voice reminds me a little bit of Cat Power.
Chiomara is offline   Reply With Quote