Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds from Innerspace
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 05:59 PM   #542 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

Default Manhattan Research Incorporated - The Magic of Raymond Scott

Tonight's magical listening comes following a heartwarming post by The Bob Moog Foundation and The Raymond Scott Archives. The Archives had recently published a recording of Bob Moog talking about his time with Raymond Scott in the 1950's when Bob was barely 20 years old. Scott was one of the first musician clients that Bob had direct exposure to, and the experiences with Scott marked Bob's early thinking about the expansiveness of the musical universe.

Tune into the 4-minute clip here!

It inspired me to pull my copy of the Manhattan Research Inc 3LP set issued by Basta Records in The Netherlands to revisit the wonders of Raymond Scott's work.

For those unfamiliar, you may know Scott from the recording, "Powerhouse" famously used in several classic Rube Goldberg machine sequences in Merrie Melodies cartoons. The track was also sampled in the intro of Soul Coughing's "Bus to Beelzebub."

Here is the original recording:

And here is an official "machine montage" cut by Warner Bros and hosted by The Ramond Scott Archives:

And Soul Coughing's classic track:

Here's my copy of the 3-volume set.

Fortunately, the entire set is archived on YouTube - check it out!

It is also worth mentioning that the set features a collaboration with a young Jim Henson from around the time of Henson's existential college film, The Cube. You can watch the full film here -

The short was titled, LIMBO: The Organized Mind and an animation sequence was produced for it in the early 60s.

Enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists

Last edited by innerspaceboy; 02-26-2017 at 08:03 PM.
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote