Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 01:02 PM   #13699 (permalink)
Chiomara
mayor of spookytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantic Debaser View Post
Did you happen to catch this adaptation on TV back in the day (re-runs I would assume)? My only exposure to this series' episodes is just what I've been able to find online, but I did watch quite a bit of the 1990's Japanese cartoon as a kid, through Norwegian syndicated runs and VHS cassettes. Though I have to say, the 1980's one more accurately carries with more of weirdness and mystery of the source material, which kind of got "lost in adaptation" with the anime version.
I did! But only the 1990s one, unfortunately. I also once owned one of the comic book compilations. Like you, I've mostly just seen snippets of what I can find online; I definitely agree that the 1980s one carries more of that strange magic compared to the other one. But they're all quite charming, regardless. I desperately need to get my hands on a complete collection of the original books, as well as all of Tove Jansson's early novels (especially The Summer Book!), because they're all absolute treasures (criminally underappreciated treasures!)
Chiomara is offline   Reply With Quote