Music Banter - View Single Post - Littering
Thread: Littering
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default Littering

Anyone have views on this? I always want to say something to anyone I see dropping litter in the street, but I'm always afraid I'll get my head punched in, which I probably would, so I say nothing. But it boils me up that people can't be bothered to dispose of their refuse in a socially responsible manner, ie not just throw it on the ground. I watch people regularly drop trash when they are literally yards from a bin. I've seen a girl (youngish, but not a kid) in town throw a nearly full bottle of water I guess across the far side of the street and nearly skull someone. I've seen another girl at the bus stop decide she has had enough of what she's been drinking and fire the bottle out onto the road. I don't mean just drop it, she flung it with strength. It could easily have hit a car, or someone passing or crossing the road.

What is wrong with people? If lateness is a discourtesy to others, then surely being a litterbug is the ultimate contempt for the planet and for your fellow humans? Would you drop litter at home? Well maybe you do, but I bet you pick it up later: nobody wants to live in a pigsty. But the streets seem to be fair game.

I was brought up to make sure I put litter in the bin (that's what it's for) and if I can't find a bin I'll usually stick whatever it is in my pocket or bag till I do find one, or even take it home and put it in my own bin. The casual arrogance of people just dropping half-eaten burgers, wrappers, bottles, cans etc on the street just because they could not be bothered to find a bin disgusts me.

By the way, I don't include cigarette butts or chewing gum in this tirade. I don't expect anyone to keep their cigarette end in their hand or put it in their pocket until they find a bin, and I guess it's the same with gum, which is basically a temporary product, ie you spit it out eventually. I'm not mad about it being on the ground but it doesn't bother me, or look as unsightly to me, as piles of refuse dropped there by uncaring, ignorant people.

Thoughts?