Music Banter - View Single Post - I know what I like: Trollheart's History of Progressive Rock and Progressive Metal
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 10:11 AM   #149 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

As mentioned in the previous article, progressive rock bands really started something of a trend, later taken up by hard rock and metal bands, as well as AOR ones but for a long time almost exclusive to prog rock, for intricate and often rather beautiful album covers. I'll be looking at some of the best in this section.

Bearing a striking resemblance to much of the artwork from 70s Yes album covers, which is no coincidence as artist Roger Dean worked on both, and this was basically a Yes album by any other name, Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe was the debut, and only album by the ex-members of Yes before they got back together with the rest of the band.

Although their early album covers were nothing much to write home about, once Pink Floyd joined forces with Hipgnosis they began turning out some very iconic sleeves, such as this one from Wish You Were Here.

Rush had some great ones too, like 1977's A Farewell to Kings

Early work from HR Giger, who would go on to become famous as the designer of Ridley Scott's Aliens, this is the 1973 album from Emerson, Lake and Palmer, entitled Brain Salad Surgery.

Camel's 1979 I Can See Your House From Here uses a rather risque subject, the joke about Jesus on the cross, and transposes it to an outer space setting. Very clever.

I like the pure expressionism on this one from Eloy, entitled Floating

while King Crimson's Lizard is ornate, detailed and intricate.

Finally, this 1975 album from Hawkwind shows the beginnings of fantasy art becoming almost standard on prog rock album covers.

Last edited by Trollheart; 03-23-2021 at 08:28 PM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote