Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Rock Bands Ever?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2006, 09:22 PM   #209 (permalink)
Don
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkaba
Theres more to music then technical ability man. Just in the way you attempted to take my 10 to pieces, I stopped reading your opinions after the second one because it's all the same. Bands are influential for a reason. They don't just magically make it to stardom and then maintain some form of legacy without being that good.

For the most part, most of my bands wouldn't get a mention if we're talking tehnicalities. Infact I'd probably have to chuck in Dream Theater if technical ability was the deciding factor. But it's not. Rock music overall has to encompass feel, passion, ability, lyrics and performing. And unlike say Nirvana, Dream Theater only has two of those qualities, at the most. It's time to take your head out of the sand. Technical ability does not automatically make a band great. It's cool to have your opinion that prog is the only good type of music around, but we have ours too and frankly on an overall level these "mainstream poppy rock bands" as you call them, do a far better job of defining great rock then the technical masturbation of 10 prog bands.
I've heard it all before. I'm well aware of the 'there's more to music than just technical ability' rant as I've argued against it countless times. Let's just use DT for the sake of argument because you used them against me. You said "Rock music overall has to encompass feel, passion, ability, lyrics and performing"

I take it you haven't heard DT ballads such as "Hollow Years" or "The Answer Lies Within" just to name two. For me those two are great examples of - as you put it - "encompass feel, passion..." And as for encompassing ability, listen to the live version of hollow years; the guitar solo is not only technically amazing but you can't help but feel the emotion it evokes. As for lyrics, well you can't possibly argue that these are no good:

"Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand"

Again, from Hollow Years. I take it you haven't heard that song before and have thus created a stereotypical image of DT after hearing perhaps 2 albums when actually, every single DT album is completely distinct. And lastly, performance? Well just watch Live at the Budokan.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote