Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club 2017
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 03:41 AM   #304 (permalink)
OccultHawk
one-balled nipple jockey

Review of Face Tat

There's playing outside the box and then there's playing like there is no box. This might be math rock... if the mathematician is Euclid on angel dust.

This is less forced, more organic, and better than Death Grips. I'm not going to call them influences but two bands that came to mind while listening to this are The Fall and Gorguts. The Fall is a rhythmic energy connection. Releasing yourself to this music is a lot like releasing yourself to The Fall. It's a very in the moment process. This isn't music that builds on a theme and moves in a logical chromatic way. In this music the present is all there is so don't bother with how you got here or where you're going. Now as for the Gorguts thing. Hill's drumming brings to mind Luc Lemay's guitar work. I encourage any fan of this to check out Obscura. And groan if you want but Hill also owes a tip of the hat to OLD, especially considering the time stamps.

Hill is a ****ing fantastic drummer and he's not holding back. Appreciation for the technical offers fans another avenue for enjoyment but this is in no way easy music. I will definitely return to this. I'm saying 8/10 as a placeholder until I get to know this better. Fantastic record.
OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote