Music Banter - View Single Post - Bad Train Lyrics Make Great Usernames
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pat Monahan's Hairy Chest
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Welcome aboard! I dig Gorguts and Swans, and to lesser extent The Beatles and Slint. I also have had that Car Seat Headrest album for months but still haven't gotten around to listening to it. Nice to have a little overlap.
A couple interesting notes about Car Seat Headrest, which might help explain why I like them so much. First, Will Toledo grew up in the same town in which I now live, and attended the same college a lot of my friends are attending. For his earlier albums, he often recorded overdriven vocals in his car at 3 a.m., in the parking lot of the Target I pass every day on my way to work. Second, Toledo and I are around the same age, meaning he grew up with a lot of the same mid-2000s pop I with which I grew up, and which my parents would often play in the car. For example, he alludes to "White Flag," by Dido, in one of his songs; while I hadn't heard that song in a while, it played an important role in my childhood.

So while the album is, indeed, great, with its wry lyrics, catchy hooks, and overall message, I have a number of other reasons to be attached to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Tristan Rosenstock View Post
COLORED ****ING SANDS

You'll fit in here my dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyy View Post
you've got some fine taste my man
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Cool list
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Ja Gorguts fans fit in nicely here.

Have you heard Ulcerate? Really unique atmosphere.
I love Ulcerate; so far I've listened to Shrines of Paralysis and The Destroyers of All, and I plan to start Vermis any day now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
What death metal you listening to? I judge newbies by their ability to appreciate the sound of two dogs fighting in a blender, so dish.
I've actually just gotten into death metal. Here are some albums, either death metal or similar, I've heard in the past couple weeks since my discovery:

Labyrinth Constellation, Artificial Brain
Urraca, Sunless
Unquestionable Presence, Atheist
Human, Symbolic, Death
The Jester Race, In Flames
Unortheta, Zhrine
Dasein, First Fragment
A Perfect Absolution, Gorod
Embers of a Dying World, Mors Principium Est
Mind Cemeteries, Coma Cluster Void
Starspawn, Blood Incantation
From Wisdom To Hate, Obscura, Pleiades' Dust, Colored Sands, Gorguts
The Destroyers of All, Shrines of Paralysis, Ulcerate
Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries, Opeth
Cosmogenesis, Obscura
Epitaph, Onset of Putrefaction, Necrophagist
The Satanist, Behemoth
Victory Songs, Ensiferium
Jomsviking, Amon Amarth
Slaughter of the Soul, At The Gates
Destroy Erase Improve, Meshuggah

Besides death metal, I also enjoy Isis, as well as blackgaze acts like Sylvaine, Deafheaven, and Alcest. Converge are good, and I plan on giving Dillinger's Calculating Infinity a listen within the week. I've been wanting to listen to more black metal, too.

Last edited by Pat Monahan's Hairy Chest; 03-08-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Pat Monahan's Hairy Chest is offline   Reply With Quote