Music Banter - View Single Post - Bitesize: Trollheart's Daily Album Mini-Reviews
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 05:19 AM   #296 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Artiste: Antimatter
Nationality: British
Album: Saviour
Year: 2001
Label: Prophecy
Genre: Rock
Tracks:
Saviour
Holocaust
Over your shoulder
Psalms

God is coming
Angelic

Flowers
The last laugh
Going nowhere

Chronological position: Debut album
Comments: I don't believe either Mick Moss or Duncan Patterson are religious, but this being their debut album there's a lot of references to religion, especially Christianity. Other than the title, there's “Psalms”, “God is coming”, “Angelic”... As it goes, “God is coming” is a great piece of I don't know what to call it: ambient industrial? A very dark little instrumental anyway. As they would do throughout their career, Antimatter employ the services of guest female vocalists here, splitting duties between Hayley Windsor and Michelle Richfield, (both on “Angelic”) which leaves little chance to experience the vocals of Mick, which are considerable, as I found on the other albums.

“Flowers” is typical of the kind of stark, morose beauty you get with Antimatter, with not a little Wall-era Floyd thrown into the mix, while closer “Going nowhere” is as haunting as I've ever heard this band, which is saying something. I do have to say though, this album doesn't hit me right between my two hearts as the likes of Planetary Confinement or The Judas Table did, but it's a solid effort nonetheless. Given it was theri debut I guess I can allow for that.
Intention: I'm a real fan of Antimatter so I just need to hear one or two more albums of theirs and I'll have heard them all. Then it's just the long wait for whenever they release a new one.