Music Banter - View Single Post - TOP 20 albums?bands and why (unfinished)
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2006, 07:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Shooting Star
Music Addict

Top 20 albums... This is just off the top of my head.

20. Pink Floyd - The Wall - Why? Well this album opened up the door to concept albums and pushed my attention span a little. I also considered it one of the greatest albums I'd heard on first listen.
19. At the Drive-In - Acrobatic Tenement - One summer this was all I listened to. Very innovative stuff.
18. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation - Classic record... Just. The layers of guitar and nonchalant singing. Good stuff.
17. The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead - If you're a teenager and depressed, this is probably the album for you. Whenever you're feeling melancholy put this on and it's like your very own soundtrack.
16. Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine - Came at a time when I was feeling socially conscious so really highlighted my left-wing underpinings... And the music is just great.
15. Elliott Smith - from a basement on the hill - One of my favourite posthumous albums ever, with a lot of gravity added to the lyrics due to Elliott's suicide.
14. Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left - My favourite Nick Drake album, just really wonderful and gentle autumnal guitar and understated string arrangements.
13. Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister - Really beautiful and sweet music that usually puts a smile on my face.
12. The Beatles - Help! - Probably my favourite outright pop album ever, the point where the Beatles were just gradually letting in changes but still had that fresh bubblegum pop sound.
11. Radiohead - OK Computer - I thought this album was bull****. I honestly felt it was the most overrated piece of **** I'd ever heard. Eight months later it clicked with me and I fell in love with it.
10. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven - What's that? Pseudo-operatic instrumentation and near orgasmic crescendos? Must be GY!BE.
9. Nirvana - In Utero- The first Nirvana album I really liked which sort of opened me up to a new world of music, and I'll still listen and appreciate it.
8. The Arcade Fire - Funeral - Really overwhelmingly heartful and romantic. Beautiful stuff. And they're from Canada, score.
7. Joy Division - Closer - Probably the most bleak album I've ever heard. From anguished expressions of alienation to near funeral dirge music... Good album to die to.
6. The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream - One of my earlier favourite candidates for best album, I still really love it. I'm a sucker for wall of noise and angsty lyrics and this album delivers.
5. A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step - Really subtle and atmospheric, with most of the songs having a really particular vibe that just makes the album... Really great.
4. The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium - There was a point I couldn't live without listening to this album once a day. I'm not that obsessed anymore but this album is still amazing.
3. Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York - Really heartfelt and genuine and just nice. Reminds me of driving in the car late at night and appreciating a long, good day.
2. Tool - Ænima - The kinda album I just really jump into. I can't really express how much I enjoy it.
1. The Beatles - Revolver - This album has to be the album for me. I can sit down and listen to anytime, anywhere, and it's still amazing after every listen. I have trouble after listening it once to not immediately put it on again.

That wraps that up.
Shooting Star is offline   Reply With Quote