Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club 2017
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #373 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I've listened to this album a few times prior to this and after it was put down in here and probably rate it at about a 7/10. I'll try to do a review tomorrow, I should have time.
The album has exceptional drumming and really interesting ideas. I feel like Hill took a lot of influence from Boredoms on the opener and I agree with the Ruins comparison as this is a great brutal prog album. The rhythms on the record are occasionally zeuhl inspired, sometimes more punky, but always pretty impressive. I agree with everyone else that the vocals aren't anything mindblowing, but they definitely didn't detract from the music imo. Hill is still distinct in his style, with Green Bricks and Gross Sales sounding like they could've been takes on Jenny Death. The sound quality is poor and doesn't seem to be of any benefit to the album, but one of the upsides of the album's somewhat unfocused diversity is that it works better for some tracks than others (such as Dizzy from the Twins). I love the beats on Burner in the Video and the heavy instrumentals, very unique. Total Recall is a fun song, but doesn't really warrant its spot on this album imo. The title track is the best on the album because of the middle eastern driven, mathy guitar, quite rad.

Favourite tracks: Memo to the Man, Green Bricks, Burner in the Video, Face Tat
Least favourite tracks: House of Hits (too unfocused), Total Recall
Final thoughts: The album could be more cohesive but track by track, it's mostly great.
Rating: 7/10

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote