Music Banter - View Single Post - What Did President Trump Do Now?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #3281 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
It's hilarious when people speak as if their experience is the universal human experience. Funny thing, I've grown more left wing as I've gotten older. I was always skeptical of government, but it took working in the corporate world for me to understand that corporations—contrary to the fantasy often peddled in the US—are generally disorganized, bureaucratic garbage dumps, where the people in charge are rarely the best and brightest and are far more often the best schmoozers or the biggest assholes. I also grew to understand that the prevailing corporate philosophy of perpetual growth is not only unsustainable but is actually a huge problem because it compels companies screw over workers, screw over any other people who get in their way, and degrade the environment. I've come to realize that government is one of the only even remotely effective levers we have against corporate misbehavior. Beyond that, just from living in the "real world", I've come to understand that the American right wing's supposed support of individual rights is bullshit.
See, that wasn't so hard. If Janszoon can do it, anyone can!

At least you have the common sense to recognize that not all corporations are as you describe. Still doesn't provide a strong argument against the problems I've already illustrated about government though. It's like you read two sentences of my post and then went off on a tangent about corporations.

See, I can decide whether or not I want to buy from a company. I don't get a say in how my taxes are used but the government takes it anyway (state and federal alike). Hence, from my perspective, the government has always been worse than any company and far scarier. Also, most of your criticisms about the corporate world apply to government, so if your goal was to support my argument then you hit the jackpot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
To what, the cliche? My counter argument is the loads of people who deal with the government who think that logical liberal solutions still work.

This may not pertain to you, but I think that a lot of construct a bogeyman view of the government because they only associate with the government when they're forced to, and nobody likes that. Some people only see the negative parts that affect their lives and take a lot of the positive things for granted. Food for thought.
People can whine about the corporate world, but if the government has ever been able to do anything efficiently other than tax the living **** out of people and pay their employees on time, I've never seen it. Everything people hate about the corporate world - multiply it and you have the U.S. government.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 03-19-2017 at 10:14 AM.